Angie over at Many Little Blessings hosts a Top Ten Tuesday link-up every week. I’m going to try to start participating, because I think it’s a fun idea. I’m a planner by nature. I like lists. I make lists of lists I need to make (it’s a sickness). So, this idea of writing posts in list format is quite appealing to me.
Today was one of those days when I had no time to sit down and write. It was my first official day back to work, both kids were clingy, and I was partnerless until 9pm. But the reason I was partnerless until 9pm? My husband came home from work and went right back out the door to do our bi-weekly grocery shopping. Friends, he does this regularly. Do I have a keeper or what? As it happens, I already planned to write my first top ten post on the topic of my hubby, so here goes…and it is currently 11:40pm, so hopefully I can get this posted before midnight!
10 things I appreciate about my husband, in no particular order:
- He does chores without a word. We split the regular household chores, and have been married long enough that we each know our areas of responsibility. Like most of us, he has some household chores he absolutely hates (like cleaning the litterboxes for the cats I’ve taken in, the ones he wouldn’t have if it weren’t for me). And he does those chores without a word of complaint or reminding.
- He keeps the books. He keeps track of every cent we spend, in detail. He also pays all the bills (except the ones that require a check, and even those he often reminds me of). Not only does he do all this, but he also keeps spreadsheets so I can see at a glance where we are with each major bill (mortgage, student loans) and our monthly budget.
- He does the grocery shopping. We used to do this together, but after Aria was born it became difficult. She ate every two hours, and if we went together she had to nurse before we could head home. So he started going on his own, and he’s kept it up now for 20 months. And you know what? He’s SO much better at it than I am.
- He supports me in all my endeavors. He’s never discouraged me from doing anything I was passionate about, even if it was inconvenient to him. I won’t go so far as to say he doesn’t grumble when the time comes for him to be inconvenienced, but I don’t begrudge him a little grousing when he’s so patently fabulous.
- He is a fantastic father. Oh my, I love to watch him love his kids. Aria adores him, and I know Noah will, as well. He’s involved with them. He’s patient and gentle, but he draws clear lines regarding acceptable behavior.
- He’s funny. One of the first things I appreciated about Andy was the way he made me laugh. His sense of humor is sort of snarky, which plays well with me. 🙂 He’s very quiet until he’s comfortable with people or in a given situation, so the fact he’s funny can catch you off guard. I love it.
- He’s solid as a rock. I’m passionate and can be sort of flighty, and he’s the opposite. I dive into things, and he contemplates things. Occasionally we drive each other nuts, but I love this side of him. And, I recognize how valuable it is to have a partner who is steady, dependable.
- He is reasonable. Oh my, does this make all the difference in a relationship. I bounce everything off him, because he thinks things through and is rational in his approach. Occasionally we bicker, but in our 12 year relationship we’ve hardly ever fought, not because we’re afraid to, but because we don’t need to.
- He always wants to do what’s best. Once he has been convinced that a given course is the best, he will follow it. He does it quietly, without fanfare. He does it even if it’s hard.
- He is my partner in everything. We work side-by-side in life. He’s not afraid to lead, and he’s not afraid to follow. Honestly, I can’t imagine a better partner for me. God handpicked the perfect spouse for me (not a perfect man, but then I am also far from perfect).
And on top of all that? He loves to cook!